Saturday, May 12, 2012

Sombrero [five sentence fiction]


Tables lined the tree-shaded streets, each piled with stacks of well worn clothes, rusty tools, ancient household appliances, partial dinnerware sets and knick-knacks that no one wanted - all in all, your typical neighborhood yard sale.

"Mommy, mommy, look at me," my four year old son clamored from somewhere close by.

I looked around and although I could hear him, I couldn't see him, "Deke, where the heck are you, get your butt over here right now!"

"I'm right here, mommy," he giggled as he stood, the picture of innocence; three feet of mischievousness adorned by cast-off cowboy boots that came up over his knees and a rainbow colored sombrero that covered his eye.

Jumping up and down with excitement he shouted, "Buy me, mommy, I'm a cowboy!"



23 comments:

  1. Aw cute! Loved it when my kids were small and wore things so big they drowned them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This paints a picture that is... priceless! I can picture him jumping up and down...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know...now it's my grandkids that do it. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It got me giggling as I wrote it. Thanks for stopping by and commenting.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Really vivid, I could have been there. Nice one.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is wonderful! I can picture it so clearly! The face I see under the brim is that of my five year old grandson!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can see him now ... nice imagery here.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very sweet and I too thought you described the garage sale very well!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks, Sandra. It was a quick but fun write.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks, Jayne. I pictured my 5 y/o grandson when I wrote this.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That is who I was picturing when I wrote it...umm, my 5 y/o grandson, not yours. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks, Robert. Glad you've joined the five sentence fiction crowd!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks Jo-Anne, your continued support amazes me! I greatly appreciate it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I feel like a parrot saying this, but the description was wonderfully vivid. My mind did a flashback to all the yard-sales I've been to, trying to contain the little siblings...

    Very well done. Very much so.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm glad you enjoyed it, Blake. One of my lighter ones. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  16. What an adorable story! Loved the descriptions. I could picture every detail in my mind, especially the child. :) Wonderful job!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks, Stephanie, glad you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Absolutely precious. :) made me smile.

    ReplyDelete
  19. This is just so cute! Who could resisit??? xxx

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thanks, Lizzie, and welcome to my blog!

    ReplyDelete

I'm tired of talking to myself. Drop a note, please?