Sunday, July 1, 2012

My Twitter Journey

Yes, I'm a twit tweeter and when I started, I really never thought I'd use it very much. I joined back in early January, slowly started following folks and a few followed me back. If I followed someone (or they followed me), I'd always check out who was recommended/who followed them and if it sounded like a good fit for me, I'd follow them, too. My only interface to the Twitter world was Twitter.com.

After the first month I was starting to get overwhelmed. At the end of the second month I was definitely overwhelmed. I was still following WAY more than I had following me. I'd made a few tweeps (Twitter friends) but found it nearly impossible to follow conversations or keep track of who was who. I managed to stay somewhat in touch by using hashtags and my lists, but barely.

I stopped following new people via my "add everyone who follows me and more" add approach by March, I just let new followers find me via my Tweets and my tweeps. I participated in the April A to Z Challenge and found more. I made sure my Twitter handle @DonnaBMcNicol was on my blogs, website, Facebook page and in every comment I made on any blog.

I read an article that changed my mind about ignoring the follow-back unwritten rule. It was a guest post on C.S. Lakin's blog and it has really helped me expand my follower base in the last month. While I don't follow 500 new people every day, I do now follow new people every day.

So I started searching for tips and tools to help me organize and make Twitter more useful for me. I'll pass along a few that have worked best for me in the next couple of articles. I now easily stay on top of who to follow/unfollow and actually manage to have conversations with my best tweeps.

So how are things are working out? Quite well...I hit 1000 followers yesterday!!! When I started, I thought I'd never get more than 100 or so.


- - - > More to come tomorrow

7 comments:

  1. Great start and I'm looking forward to reading more tomorrow! By the way, home come I'm just finding out about CS Lakin? I followed her just today after reading a retweet of one of her posts. Excellent site.

    Always enjoy your posts Donna!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lol.. Waiting with baited breath for more.. I need some control.. I am indeed a Twit! x

    Love you blog Donna.. Always something interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. After a whole week of crashing around on Twitter totally out of control I was thinking of writing 'My expert guide to Twitter' - clearly I'm NOT an expert but that rarely stops me - finding posts that actually do give valuable information and advice is hugely helpful, thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations on your Twitter milestone, Donna. You know the old saying; "A rolling milestone gathers no floss."... or something like that!

    ReplyDelete
  5. someone new every day? OMG! I spend more time than I should on the internet as it is, and after a nine-day visit from No 2 daughter it's all I can do to catch up with the ones I already follow!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hoping you'll gain something from all this...three more posts to go!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very interesting post, Donna. I tend to follow new people every day, sometimes just one or two people I bump into in my tweeps' tweets, sometimes quite a few more. It all depends on how much time I have.

    I used to follow back everyone who followed me, but I'm afraid I'm just not that nice any more--got tired of the relentless self-promoters, people who seem to look for arguments in every corner, misogynists, racists, and so on.

    Looking forward to the next couple of articles!

    ReplyDelete

I'm tired of talking to myself. Drop a note, please?